Sometimes payslips in another country can be confusing. You’ll want to make sure that you are being paid the correct amount, figure out what exactly you are being taxed on and where other deductions from your pay are going. If your pay seems to be too low initially, don’t worry. You’ve probably been taxed at the emergency tax rate. You can apply to Revenue to get a refund. Does this seem a little confusing? Not to worry, we’ve created a list explanations of the main aspects of your payslip to help you!

PPS number

This is your Per­sonal Pub­lic Ser­vice (PPS) num­ber. It is a unique num­ber that gov­ern­ment bod­ies and oth­ers will use to identify you.

Pay As You Earn (PAYE)

PAYE is basically income tax. Your employer takes it from your salary every time you are paid.

Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI)

Both you and your employer pay PRSI. You build up your contributions over time and then you’ll be entitled to draw them if you need to at a later date if you become ill or are made redundant.

Universal Social Charge (USC)

The USC is a tax that has replaced the income levy and the health levy. The amount you pay is calculated on a weekly or monthly basis.

Voluntary contributions

Voluntary Contributions are PRSI contributions that you can decide to pay if you in the 16 – 66 age range and are no longer covered by compulsory PRSI by way of insurable employment, self-employment or credited contributions.

Personal Retirement Savings Account contribution (PRSA)

This is a long-term personal retirement account. You can make contributions on a regular basis directly from your salary. You can get tax-relief on these payments. Make sure that you get some professional advice before signing up to a PRSA.

Gross Pay

This is the total amount that you are being paid before all of your deductions are made.

Nett Pay

This is the amount you will get after paying all of your taxes and contributions – it’s the take home pay!

Tax code

The tax code is used to figure out your PAYE. If you notice an “E” in this section, you may be on Emergency Tax and paying more than you need to. Get some advice.


Sometimes you might get a company car or help with your accommodation from your employer. If you are taxed for these extras, you should see it here.